US Naval Base 18 (1918-1919)
This depot was reached by reversal from the Muirtown Basin Branch (Highland Railway). Mines, imported from the USA, were assembled for use in the Northern Barrage, the minefield laid between northern Scotland and Norway in the Great War. Another base, US Naval Base 17, was near Invergordon.
The depot incorporated:
- the quaysides at Muirtown Basin (where partly assembled mines from the USA were brought by the Royal Navy from Corpach along the Caledonian Canal from Corpach Basin)
- mines were moved along the Muirtown Basin Branch (Highland Railway) to just shy of Canal Junction [Inverness] where the US Naval Base 18 Railway was reached.
- US Naval Base 18 Loco Shed which was at the north end of the depot railway
- three large assembly sheds, in the middle part of the depot railway
- Glen-Albyn Distillery alongside Muirtown Basin which was used as part of the depot
- US Naval Base 18 Sidings where assembled mines were stored (alongside, and to the south of, Merkinch Primary School and north of Carse Road)
Assembled mines were taken back to Muirtown Basin and then out to sea by barge via the Clachnaharry sea lock.
Track for the lines was provided by dismantling the Buckie and Portessie Branch (Highland Railway), closed as a wartime economy in 1915.
The depot closed soon after the war.
Some of the site was reused by the MOW Carse Sidings in the Second World War.
Castle Stuart Platform
Other railway and industry locations
MOW Carse Sidings
US Base 18 Loco Shed
Canal Junction [Inverness]
US Base 18 Sidings
Clachnaharry Swing Bridge
Inverness Ammunition Depot
US Naval Base 18
Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
South Kessock Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|