Smyllum Junction (1864-1910)
Smyllum West Junction (1910-1965)
Opened on the Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was the western apex of a triangle of junctions. It was formed in 1864 between the 1854 Lanark Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway). The curve south to Douglas Junction South allowed passenger trains starting from Lanark to run to Douglas and, later, Muirkirk [2nd].
The signal box was on the south side of the junction.
The Lanark branch was doubled in 1864 in anticipation of the new branch, which was single.
There was a remodelling of the triangle of lines in 1910 and the junction renamed from Smyllum Junction to Smyllum West Junction (the other junctions were renamed from Douglas to Smyllum, probably to avoid confusion with Douglas West station which had opened in 1896).
The branch was closed to passengers in 1964. The curve to Smyllum south Junction closed in 1965, stopping the use of the triangle to turning engines.
The signal box remained until 1966. The Lanark branch was singled in 1971. It was electrified and remains open.
Other railway and industry locations
Smyllum West Junction
Smyllum South Junction
Smyllum East Junction
Caledonian Mineral Oil Works
New Lanark Mills
Silvermuir South Junction
Cleghorn Clay Pit
Cleghorn Terra-Cotta Works
Lanark Race Course
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|