Pinkston Power Station

Location type

Works

Name and dates

Pinkston Power Station (1901-1960)

Served by the Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway.
Served by the Port Dundas Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).

Description

This power station generated electricity for the Glasgow Corporation Tramways. It was located on the east side of the Forth and Clyde Canal's Port Dundas Basin and the west side of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway where it entered Cowlairs Tunnel.

The power station was a large building built on a prominent site. There were two chimneys at the north end. A particularly large cooling tower was later added to the west, on the infilled former timber basin of the 'island' in Port Dundas Basin.

Coal deliveries to the power station could be made from the Forth and Clyde Canal by barge or by Caledonian Railway. The approach was from the south via a siding from the former Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway which ran north from the St Rollox Depot.

The North British Railway served the site via a siding from the Port Dundas Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway), probably for ash removal.

Closed around 1960 and demolished around 1977. The site is now an industrial estate.

Tags

Power station

Aliases

Pinkston Powerstation

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67