Millisle Exchange Platform (1877-1903)
Opened on the Wigtownshire Railway.
This island platform sat between the Garlieston branch and the Newton Stewart to Whithorn 'mainline'.
Until 1907 access to the branch required reversal. A train from Newton Stewart would enter Millisle station and then set back into the Garlieston face of the Millisle Exchange Platform before continuing to Garlieston. In 1907 the layout was altered to allow trains direct access to the Garlieston branch and the exchange platform and reversing spur removed. Passenger services had ceased in 1903.
Gatehouse of Fleet
Other railway and industry locations
Whithorn Priory and Museum
Cairn Holy Chambered Cairns
Drumtroddan Standing Stones
Drumtroddan Standing Cup and Ring Marked Rocks
St Ninian^s Chapel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Railways (Library of Railway History)
|Rails to Portpatrick (Local History Series)|
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn