Slateford [1st] (1848-1853)
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Shotts.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This is a two platform station.
A station house remains next to the west end of the station and level crossing, in use as a house.
The station was briefly known as Slateford before Slateford [2nd] opened to the east of the Slateford Viaduct. The station was renamed Kings Knowes very briefly before becoming Kingsknowe.
A goods yard existed to the west of the station, on the north side of the line and approached from the east.
Other railway and industry locations
Gorgie Cattle Market [CR]
Gorgie Cattle Market [NB]
Slateford Railway Laundry
Gorgie West Goods
Slateford Junction [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian