Headless Cross (1845-1848)
Opened on the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
This halt was north of Headlesscross Farm. The Railway Clearing House Maps shows 'Headlesscross (Gray and Paul's)'. Gray and Paul owned mines at Climpy and Wilsontown and Climpy Road ran south east to Climpy and Wilsontown, which suggests this was a loading location for coal worked to the south.
Thus Headlesscross was the 'Wilsontown' part of the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
The Ordnance Survey Name Book describes Headlesscross thus
This name applies to a farm house cottage and toll house. The cottage and farm house are the property of James Brownlie.
Fauldhouse and Crofthead
Other railway and industry locations
Knowton Signal Box
Leadloch Colliery Pit No 1
Fauldhouse No 1 Colliery
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Shotts Iron Works Reversing Spur
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
|The Monkland & Kirkintilloch and associated railways|
Vanished Railways of West Lothian