Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Maidens and Dunure Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
This signal box controlled the junction for the Maidens and Dunure Railway (1906) where it met the Maybole and Girvan Railway (1860).
The signal box closed in 1935, and Girvan No 2 [1st] (at Girvan Junction) was renamed Girvan No 1 [2nd].
The Maidens line closed to through passenger trains in 1930, Turnberry surviving until 1942. The line closed completely north of Grangestone Siding in 1955. The last portion closed in 1965. The remaining main line was singled, north of Girvan Junction, in 1973.
Today a long siding, a headshunt, runs from the north end of the Girvan Loop to the site of this junction.
Girvan Junction is to the south, Girvan station beyond it.
A proposal to extend the siding to William Grant Distillery Grangeston Distillery along the former course of the former Maidens and Dunure Railway would see a small intermodal railhead installed.
| Girvan Junction|
Girvan Grangeston Depot
Craighead Lime Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Locomotive Apprentice: At the North British Locomotive Company
Rails to Turnberry and Heads of Ayr: The Maidens & Dunure Light Railway & the Butlin's Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Tales of the Glasgow and South Western Railway