This was a steelworks in the Germiston area near Springburn, Glasgow, owned by Arrol Bros. (Not William Arrol.)
The steelwork for the Connel Ferry Bridge (1903) was manufactured here.
After 1906 it was owned by A and J Main of the Clydesdale Iron Works (Possil Park).
The works show a different, gradually expanding, configuration in the 1892, 1913, 1935 and 1951 Ordnance Survey maps. (By the time of the 1951 map the works are no longer labelled 'Engineering' but rather 'Wagon Repairs'.)
The works was originally served from the east by sidings from the goods line joining the Sighthill East Junction to Germiston Junction Low. This goods alignment was to the north of the main lines. Its western end was North British Railway and its east Caledonian Railway.
The connection was altered after works expansion to sidings at the west end of the goods alignment.
The Eclipse Works were to the east, over Hobden Street. The Star Steel Rolling Mills and Nail Factory were to the south.
The site was bounded to the west by sidings and the City of Glasgow Union Railway, although as this lay at a lower level there was no connection.
St Rollox [2nd]
St Rollox [1st]
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Other railway and industry locations
Sighthill East Junction [1st]
St Rollox Works Shed
Sighthill Yard Junction
St Rollox Top Yard
Sighthill Goods Junction
Sighthill East Junction
Germiston Junction Low
St Rollox Goods East
Sighthill West Junction [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|