Carmyle South Signal Box (1897-1965)
Opened on the Glasgow Central Railway.
This signal box was north of Westburn Viaduct and south of Carmyle Junction (and Carmyle Goods Yard). It was on the east side of the line.
The box opened in 1897, just after the Glasgow Central Railway opened to passengers. The Carmyle Junction to Newton portion opened just in advance of this in 1896.
To the south a connection from Westburn Junction to Kirkhill Junction opened in 1904, providing a new approach to the Clyde Iron Works from the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway from Ardrossan.
Carmyle South box closed in 1965, a year after the line closed to passengers. The Kirkhill Junction route closed in 1966.
The Carmyle Junction to Newton railway completely closed in 1983.
Mount Vernon North
Other railway and industry locations
Carmyle Goods Yard
Kenmuir Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
Kenmuirhill Colliery Pit No 1
Clydesmill Power Station
Kenmuirhill Colliery Pit No 2
Kenmuirhill Signal Box
Westburn Steel Works
Westburn Souh Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|