Bowling Oil Terminal

Location type

Works

Name and dates

Bowling Oil Terminal (1918-1996)

Served by the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway.

Description

This oil terminal was west of Bowling, just west of Dunglass Castle. The site had several jetties, oil storage tanks stretching east from the jetties east to Bowling Shipyard along the shoreline (south of the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway, further tanks between the C&DR and the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway, tanks on the hillside above, over the A82, to the north and sidings.

The sidings were originally on the south side of the C&DR, approached from the west. Further sidings, reached by reversal from these ran to the west. Further siding syet were on the south side of the L&DR, approached from the west. After the C&DR was closed to the west it was retained as far west as the L&DR overbridge as sidings for the terminal.

The terminal had its own shunter. Oil was delivered from here to Granton and the Ardeer ICI factory at Imperial Chemical Industries.

It closed to rail traffic in the late 1980s, remained until the 1990s and is now derelict and awaiting new uses.

Wagons dumped at the west end of the former C&DR were a familiar sight to commuters for may years, easily viewed from the still open L&DR on a bridge above.

Tags

Oil terminal oil tanks sidings

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map


Books


The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)