This is a short link line built to connect the Arbroath and Forfar Railway and the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. The line replaced an earlier tramway, which ran through the streets to connect the lines, and the terminii at Arbroath Catherine Street and Arbroath Lady Loan.
The line was built by the Dundee and Arbroath Railway.
These locations are along the line.
This is a three platform station, with two active platforms on either side of the double track in use. The station buildings remain on the platforms, with canopies, and the booking office is on the Keptie Street overbridge. The station was rebuilt and enlarged in 1911 when it was jointly Caledonian Railway and North British Railway.
This junction was directly north of today's Arbroath station. It was the connection between the Arbroath and Forfar Railway of 1838 and the Junction Line (Dundee and Arbroath Railway) of 1847 which linked the A&F to the Dundee and Arbroath Railway.