Barry Dock and Railways






Dates

14/08/1884[Barry Dock and Railways]
Established by an Act. Led by David Davies of Ocean Collieries. The line was to run from Barry to Cadoxton Junction then north to Drope Junction for a branch to Peterston with the [South Wales Railway] (then a further junction, Tynycaeau Junction, with the same line from St Fagan's) and then north to the Treforest estate at Tonteg Junction for a connection with the [Taff Vale Railway] before finishing near Trehafod, joining the [Taff Vale Railway].
31/07/1885[Cogan Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Act passed.
  /  /1888[Barry Dock and Railways]
Act passed forcing the [Taff Vale Railway] to only use the [Cardiff Penarth and Barry Junction Railway] for local traffic rather than as a through freight route to the Barry Docks.
  /  /1888[Taff Vale Railway]
Attempts to buy the Bute Docks, on the threat of the opening of the [Barry Dock and Railways].
20/12/1888[Cogan Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Line opened.
  /  /1889[Barry Dock and Railways]
Opened.
13/05/1889[Barry Dock and Railways]
Cadoxton to Tynycaeau Junction opened for freight. Section included the Venvoe tunnel and large masonry viaduct over the [South Wales Railway].
08/07/1889[Cardiff Penarth and Barry Junction Railway] ([Taff Vale Railway])
Opened from Lavernock to temporary platform at Biglis as the [Barry Dock and Railways] would not grant access to Biglis Junction station.
18/07/1889[Barry Dock and Railways]
Opens first dock of 73 acres.
18/07/1889[Barry Dock and Railways]
Tynycaeau Junction to Trehafod opened.
22/05/1890[Cardiff Penarth and Barry Junction Railway] ([Taff Vale Railway])
Service extended to Biglis Junction on the [Barry Dock and Railways] and temporary Biglis station closed.
01/06/1890[Barry Dock and Railways]
Biglis Junction renamed Cadoxton.
  /  /1891[Barry Dock and Railways]
Renamed Barry Railway Company.
14/08/1893[Barry Dock and Railways]
Start to use Riverside station on the [Cardiff Riverside Branch].
02/04/1894[Barry Dock and Railways]
Start to use Clarence Road station on the [Cardiff Riverside Branch].
17/08/1894[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Act passed.
  /  /1896[Barry Dock and Railways]
Obtains powers for a line from the [Rhymney Valley Branch] to the [Senghenydd Branch] of the [Rhymney Railway]. The connection is not built.
16/03/1896[Barry Dock and Railways]
Passenger service from Barry to the [Taff Vale Railway]s Porth station begins.
16/03/1896[Barry Dock and Railways]
The [Taff Vale Railway] gives the company access from Trehafod to Porth.
03/08/1896[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Line partly opened.
  /06/1897[Barry Dock and Railways]
Introduces a Pontypridd to Cardiff via St Fagans service.
07/06/1897[Barry Dock and Railways]
Passenger service from Pontypridd to Cardiff (Clarence Road).
27/07/1899[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Barry Pier opened.
01/08/1901[Rhymney Valley Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Tynycaeau Junction to Penrhos Upper Junction (With the [Rhymney Railway]) opened. Walnut Tree Viaduct opened.
15/08/1904[Barry Dock and Railways]
Barry Railway (Steam Vessels) Act allows company to start running steamers from Barry Pier.
  /  /1905[Barry Dock and Railways]
Connection made to the [Rumney Railway] at Barry Junction near Bedwas.
  /  /1905[Barry Dock and Railways]
Gwalia, 519 tons, and Devonia, 641 tons, bought from John Brown's Shipyard.
02/01/1905[Rhymney Valley Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Line extended from Penrhos Lower Junction to Barry Junction on the [Rumney Railway] of the [Brecon and Merthyr Railway] opened. Penyrheol and Llanbradach viaducts opened.
  /  /1907[Barry Dock and Railways]
The company spends nearly 100,000 trying to get access to Nine Mile Point. An Act is passed but the terms unworkable and the powers are allowed to lapse.
  /  /1907[Barry Dock and Railways]
Subscribe to the Burnham (Somerset) Pier Company.
  /  /1907[Barry Dock and Railways]
Barry, 471 tons, added to Gwalia, Devonia and Westonia (ex Rhos Colwyn, 393 tons).
  /  /1907[Barry Dock and Railways]
Run train to the [Rhymney Railway]s Caerphilly station for a visit of Kind Edward VII.
  /  /1909[Barry Dock and Railways]
Steamers sold. Gwalia sold to the [Furness Railway].
  /05/1914[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Second platform opened at Barry Island.
  /  /1926[Great Western Railway]
Act passed to allow closure of the [Barry Dock and Railways] three miles of line from Phenrhos Lower Junction and Duffryn Isaf (the [Rhymney Valley Branch]). The Penrhos, Penyrhoel and Llanbradach viaducts were to be demolished.
  /  /1929[Barry Dock and Railways], [Rumney Railway]
Barry Junction renamed Duffryn Isaf.
  /  /1929[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Barry Pier to Barry Island singled.
  /  /1930[Great Western Railway]
Connection made between [Barry Dock and Railways] (a north facing junction, just north of Tonteg Junction) to the [Llantrissant and Taff Vale Junction Railway] at a south facing junction just to the east of Tonteg viaduct. The former [Llantrissant and Taff Vale Junction Railway] line between the junction just east on Tonteg viaduct and Llantrissant Branch Junction is closed.
10/07/1930[Barry Dock and Railways]
Cardiff to St Fagans to Pontypridd, and Cadoxton to Porth diverted to parallel [Taff Vale Railway] routes. Treforest High Level and Pontypridd (Graig) are closed.
  /  /1937[Rhymney Valley Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Penyrhoel and Llanbradach viaducts demolished. The large girders are dropped from the piers and cut-up.
11/10/1943[Barry Dock and Railways]
Tonteg to Pontypridd Tunnel northbound line used to store 119 American locomotives.
  /06/1951[Barry Dock and Railways]
Tonteg Junction to Pontypridd Pwllgwaun closed.
04/06/1956[Barry Dock and Railways]
Trehafod Junction to Pontypridd Maescoed Goods closed.
10/09/1962[Barry Dock and Railways]
Cadoxton to Pontypridd closed to passengers.
31/03/1963[Rhymney Valley Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Walnut Tree West to Tyncaeau North closed on burning down of Tyncaeau North signalbox. Freight is diverted.
31/03/1963[Barry Dock and Railways]
Cadoxton South to Tonteg Junction closed on burning down of Tyncaeau North signalbox. Freight is diverted.
28/09/1964[Barry Dock and Railways]
Treforest Junction to Cwm Colliery closed.
  /  /1969[Rhymney Valley Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Walnut Tree Viaduct girders removed.
  /06/1969[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Barry Island to Barry singled.
  /  /1971[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Campbell steamers call for the last time.
18/10/1971[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Last standard passenger train to Barry Pier.
  /  /1973[Rhymney Valley Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Walnut Tree Viaduct piers demolished. One pier remains.
  /04/1973[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Last tour train to Barry Pier.
  /07/1976[Barry Pier Branch] ([Barry Dock and Railways])
Barry Island to Barry Pier out of use.
  /  /1985[Barry Dock and Railways]
Barry Docks office building re-opened after a fire.

Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

An Aberdare to Barry Island service stands at platform 3 Barry station. ...
Alastair McLellan 19/03/2018
Sprinter 150285 arriving at Barry with a service to Aberdare from Barry Island in March 2018. ...
Alastair McLellan 19/03/2018
A pair of Network Rail Technicians working on a set of frozen points at the south end of Barry station. The Barry Island branch curves left with the ...
Alastair McLellan 19/03/2018
A pair of class 142's on an ATW service from Merthyr Tydfil to Bridgend shortly after departing Barry. ...
Alastair McLellan 19/03/2018


This is the statue of David Davies in Barry Docks, just outside the dock offices. He was a railway contractor, industrialist, promoter of the Barry ...
Ewan Crawford 22/06/2003













All traces of Pontypridd Graig station are now swept away in favour of a hospital car park; but the North portal of the tunnel which opened off the ...
Ken Strachan 31/05/2010