Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
This is a two platform station with staggered platforms on either side of a level crossing. The station has an old station building, fine gantry signal box over the line to the west of the level crossing and NER footbridge over the line to the east of the crossing. The eastbound platform is to the west of the crossing and westbound to the east. The station building, partly of two storeys and in stone, is on the westbound platform. There is a station car park to the north of the lines east of the crossing. The small town of Wylam itself is over the River Tyne, just to the north.
The goods yard was located where the car park is now, approached from the west.
The now closed North Wylam station, which was actually in Wylam, was to the north over the River Tyne. This was on a line which began at West Wylam Junction to the west and ran east to Scotswood.
In early days a waggonway ran north over the Wylam Bridge crossing the River Tyne to reach Wylam Iron Works and Wylam Colliery.
Other railway and industry locations
Wylam Colliery (Ann Pit)
Wylam Iron Works
Wylam Colliery (Haugh Pit)
West Wylam Junction
Clara Vale Colliery
West Wylam Colliery
Heddon Colliery (King Pit)
Prudhoe Chemical Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1
A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps