Thorneybank Siding (1870-1934)
Opened on the Dalkeith Branch (North British Railway).
Also spelt Thorniebank. This siding was located on the Dalkeith Branch (North British Railway), the line between Hardengreen Junction and Smeaton. This was a single track line. There were two loops here on either side of the line with Thorneybank Signal Box (closed 1896) at the west end and a Thorneybank Estate siding at the west end of the loop, north side of the line, approached from the west. Just to the west was the Victoria Viaduct.
This is an old railway/waggonway location. The line was originally the Duke of Buccleuch's Tramway. This ran from Dalkeith to Cowden Coal Pit and a branch ran north east to Smeaton Colliery from what later became Thorneybank Siding. The waggonway was realigned and straightened by the North British Railway. The north portion from Smeaton to Thorneybank opened in 1866, probably part of the Macmerry Branch (North British Railway) and the remainder opened in 1870.
The through line closed in 1934, the north part retained until 1980 to serve the Dalkeith Colliery. A buffer on the latter line was close, but to the north of, Thorneybank.
The site is now a new housing estate and line of trees.
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Other railway and industry locations
Shaw^s Coal Depot
Telegraph Pole Works
Dalkeith Pits Nos 5 and 9
Dalkeith Colliery Pit No 9
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|