Stobcross West Junction (1896-1960)
This junction was located in the tunnel just west of Stobcross station (now Exhibition Centre).
The Glasgow Central Railway was met by the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway at a junction which let trains from the L&DR run east onto the GCR though Glasgow Central Low Level and on to Strathclyde Junction near Rutherglen. Both lines opened to passengers in 1896. Part of the Glasgow Central Railway from Maryhill Central Junction (also on the L&D) had opened in 1894 to goods, to connect to Stobcross Low Level Goods (for the Queens Dock).
The route west continued through Kelvinhaugh Tunnel and the line north used Stobcross Depot Tunnel.
The signal box was located at the tunnel entrance, outside and on the south side of the line.
The signal box closed in 1929, taken over by the Stobcross East Junction signal box of 1909.
The route to Kelvinbridge (excluded) closed completely in 1960.
The remaining line closed in 1965.
Much of the Glasgow Central Railway re-opened in 1979 as the Argyle Line. A single line (the eastbound) now enters the Kelvinhaugh Tunnel which was modified at its western end to run to Finnieston West Junction.
(The westbound line uses the course of the Stobcross Railway's Stobcross Low Level Goods line, which had closed in 1969.)
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
Kinning Park [Subway]
Shields Road [Subway]
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
Stobcross Goods Low Level
Stobcross Depot Tunnel
Stobcross Goods [NBR]
St Vincent Crescent Signal Box
Stobcross East Junction
St Vincent Crescent Tunnel
Stobcross Street Tunnel
Scottish Exhbibition and Conference Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|