Roslin Colliery

Location type

Mine


Name and dates

Roslin Colliery (1903-1966)

Served by the Glencorse Extension (Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway).


Description

Opened around 1876 by the Glasgow Iron Company and known as 'The Moat' after the farm just to the north. The company also owned the Motherwell Malleable Iron Works.

Re-sunk by the Shotts Iron Company in 1903.

Coal was moved by rail to the Ramsay Colliery washery.

The colliery was served by a branch from the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway which struck off from its Glencorse extension just west of Roslin station. The junction had a miniature signal box.


Tags

Mine

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map