Mossblown Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Mossblown Junction (1892-1963)

Opened on the Ayr and Mauchline Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Opened on the Monkton and Annbank Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Description

This junction was west of Annbank station. It opened in 1892 with a new line which ran north west to Monkton Junction near Prestwick.

The signal box was on the south side of the junction. The signal box doubled just before the junction.

The new line was largely goods and minerals. (There was a private halt at Auchincruive Colliery Platform.)

In 1949 the new line ceased to be a through route - the route was severed for a new runway at Prestwick Airport. A headshunt was added for the branch, allowing a train from the Ayr direction to enter the headshunt and reverse onto the branch. The line remained open to serve Auchincruive Colliery Pits No 1,2, 3 and Tofts Colliery.

The signal box closed in 1963.

The closed line has been slightly landscaped at the junction. The Ayr to Annbank line remains open and is now single track.

Tags

Junction


Nearby stations
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Annbank
Auchincruive
Prestwick Town
Tarbolton
Prestwick International Airport
Monkton
Newton-on-Ayr
Trabboch
Ayr Shed [1st]
Ayr [2nd]
Ayr [1st]
Ayr
Drongan
Maybole Junction [Station]
Auchincruive Colliery Pits No 1,2,3
Tofts Junction
Annbank Junction
Ayr Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Brockle Bridge
Clune Siding
Enterkine? Box
Oswald's Bridge Pit
Enterkine 9,10 / Ayr 1,2 / Ayr Colliery No 9 Pit
Auchincruive Coal Pit
Tofts 1 and 2 Collieries
Auchincruive Coal Pit
Auchincruive 4,5,6,7 [Glenburn]
Enterkine Viaduct
Tourist/other
Auchincruive House
Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.