This is a modern two platform station linked by a footbridge to the Metrocentre shopping centre. It is located to the north of the centre with coach parking and car parking nearby.
The station dates from the opening of the centre. The line was built by the North Eastern Railway in 1904 to replace the 1837 alignment of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway further to the north (this closed line was partly built by the aborted Blaydon, Gateshead and Hebburn Railway before the N&CR took over). The realignment allowed dock developments and the present day station is just east of the former junction and yards for West Dunston Staiths on the 1904 line. The station is just west of the former Whickham Junction where the Atlas Curve ran north east to connect back to the original alignment to the north and the Dunston line ran south east.
Dunston was a terminus for passenger services, passenger trains did not continue west to Blaydon until the closure of the Scotswood Viaduct in 1982 and the diversion of all Carlisle trains to the route.
The Metrocentre regenerated a large area of former railway yards and industry and remained railway served, ideal for a station.
Newcastle [Shot Tower]
Newcastle Central [Metro]
| Whickham Junction|
Dunston West Junction
Blaydon Main Junction
Dunston East Junction
Swalwell North Junction
Axwell Park Colliery
Blaydon South Junction
West Dunston Staiths
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|