Opened on the Wansbeck Railway.
This was a single platform station. Meldon, a small settlement, is a third of a mile to the north. The platform was on the north side of the line, with a two storey stone built station building.
To the west the station was crossed by a road bridge, passing over the west end of the platform and single track line.
A siding, approached from the west, was opposite the platform. At the east end of the platform a pair sidings were on the north side of the line, the further north of which served coal staiths, from this a loading bank was reached by reversal.
The siding on the south side of the station was originally a goods loop until it was severed at its east end. There was a signal box from 1893 to 1940.
The station closed to passengers in 1952 and the line closed in 1966.
The station building is now a house. The passenger platform survives in the garden.
Morpeth [B and T]
Other railway and industry locations
West Clifton Colliery
Morpeth NB and NE Junction
Scots Gap Turntable
Wansbeck Railway Junction
Scots Gap Junction
Morpeth North Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Ephemeral Flash: Public Transport in and Around the Upper Wansbeck Valley
Memories: Reflections of Wansbeck
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
North Eastern Highways And By-Ways Of Steam - DVD - Transport Video Publishing
Remember The Wannie Line - The Wansbeck Valley Railway 1865-1966 [VHS]
Wanderings Along the River Wansbeck: From Fourlaws to Cambois
Wannie Line - Northumberland's Best Loved Branch Line [DVD]