Location type


Names and dates

West Linton [Cumbria] (1861-1870)
Lyneside (1870-1929)

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


This was a two platform station just west of the small village of Westlinton in Cumbria, England. There was a level crossing to the south and a goods yard to the north on the east side of the line.

The main station building, of two storeys, was on the southbound platform with a waiting room on the northbound.

The yard had looped sidings, accessible from both north and south. The 1864 OS map labels the goods 'Coal and Lime Depot'. The layout was altered, later the yard could only be access from the south and the sidings were not as widely spaced.

The signal box was replaced in 1914. The original was on the north side of the level crossing, east side of the line and its replacement on the west side.

The station closed to passengers in 1929 and its platforms were removed. The line, and box, closed in 1969. It survived to Longtown as a single track until 1970.

Today the station house remains standing, in use as a house with a small extension onto the southbound platform area, and the ground floor of the signal box is now a garden building (one of three remaining boxes on the line). The extension is sympathetic, built in the same stone as the rest of the building. The house and garden are beautifully maintained.

West Linton [Peeblesshire] station, on the Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway was renamed Broomlee in 1864 to avoid confusion with this station. The Dolphinton line was under the North British Railway's influence and they were to absorb it in 1866.

This station was renamed Lyneside in 1870, the name applying to lands to the west near the River Lyne.

Sandysike Brick Works, served by sidings, was a mile to the north.



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67