West Linton [Peeblesshire] (1864-1864)
Opened on the Leadburn, Linton and Dolphinton Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This station was about half a mile south of West Linton. The passenger station and goods yard were separated by a level crossing.
The platform was on the north (village) side of the single line with a single storey station building joined directly to a railway cottage to its north. At its east end was a signal box, by the level crossing.
The goods yard had sidings both north and south of the running line. The north side sidings, which served the stone goods shed, were served from the east. The south side sidings were served from the west.
The station was renamed Broomlee in 1864 to avoid confusion with West Linton [Cumbria] station, another station within the North British Railway system. (That company took over the Dolphinton line in 1866).
The station and line closed in 1933. In 1939 the line re-opened to Macbie Hill from Leadburn, and seemingly continuing to Dolphinton [NB]. The re-opened line closed in 1960.
The station building and cottage, and the goods shed remain standing. The goods shed has been converted into a house in recent times. A railway cottage remains to its south.
To the east the trackbed is in excellent condition, sleeper indentations are preserved.
Other railway and industry locations
Dolphinton Shed [NB]
Dolphinton Shed [CR]
Auchencorth Peat Moss Railway
Leadburn Summit Siding
Venture Fair Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Border Country Branch Line Album
Old Carnwath: Including Braehead, Dolphinton, Dunsyre, Elsrickle, Kaimend, Libberton, Newbigging and Walston
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)