Lochwinnoch

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Lochwinnoch [1st] (1840-1905)
Lochside (1905-1955)
Lochwinnoch (1985-)

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.

Open on the Glasgow to Ayr and Stranraer.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This is a two platform station 3/4 of a mile south east of the town of Lochwinnoch. It is a modern minimal station with a car park. Barr Loch is to the west and Castle Semple to the north. 'Loch Winnoch' may have referred to the area before drainage created the two lochs.

The original station opened with the line. It had two platforms and a goods yard on the west side of the line, reached by reversal from the Glasgow bound platform. The yard was expanded and access directly from the south added. The main station building was on the Glasgow bound platform, closest to the town.

In 1905 a new railway opened parallel to the existing Glasgow to Ayr line which effectively quadrupled the line. This new line had a station, Lochwinnoch [2nd], which better served the town. As a result the existing station was renamed Lochside to avoid confusion. (Lochside House is to the north east.)

Probably due to its rural location, the more suitable station closer to the town and a desire to improve train times the station closed in 1955. However Lochwinnoch [2nd] was to close, with the parallel line, in 1966.

The town remained unserved until 1985 when the station re-opened as a basic two platform station, renamed Lochwinnoch.

Local

Lochwinnoch RSPB Nature Reserve

Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map






Notice: Undefined variable: cachefile in /var/www/html/__build/bs-loc.php on line 1207