Lochburn

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Lochburn (1890-1916)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station to the west of West Possil Loch and the Lochburn Iron Works. The main station building was on the eastbound (Glasgow) platform. When built it was in an area, largely of farmed countryside, north of Glasgow. To the south east the line passed under the Forth and Clyde Canal.

To the south east was the signal box. This was on the south side of the line. The box opened in 1888. This controlled access to the Lochburn Iron Works sidings on the north side of the line, reached by a reversing spur approached from the east. The works was on the north/west bank of the canal. On the south side of the line was the siding for the Phoenix Chemical Works, reached by reversal. This siding was extended and the works became the Kelvindale Chemical Works. One siding ran behind the signal box, on its south side.

The station closed in 1916 and was demolished.

The box closed in 1965, by which time the Lochburn Iron Works was closed.

The line remains open as a double track railway. The line is in a cutting here and has suffered from subsidence. Gilshochill station to the north west effectively replaces the former Lochburn station, around which housing has developed. West Possil Loch barely exists, being partly infilled as a tip of the iron works. A footpath runs over its now forrested site.

East of the Forth and Clyde Canal the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway passed overhead. This bridge no longer exists.


Tags

Station