This is a two platform station. Fine station buildings remain and are canopied. There is a six sided signal box to the west, just across a level crossing, built onto the end of the row of houses on Kirkgate.
At the west end is the Knaresborough Viaduct and at the east end the Knaresborough Tunnel.
The station was jointly owned between the Leeds Northern Railway to the west and Knaresborough Extension (York and North Midland Railway) to the east (it replaced their Knaresborough (Hay Park Lane) terminus).
The buildings are not the originals but from the 1866 North Eastern Railway reconstruction. The original station had a bay on the south side, approached from the west and was crossed by a road bridge. Both bay and bridge were removed in the rebuilding and platforms lengthened to the west. The west end of the main building is an extension of 1892.
When mooted the station was proposed by the Leeds and Thirsk Railway, to the west, and the East and West Yorkshire Junction Railway to the east. The former was renamed the Leeds Northern Railway and the latter was absorbed by the York and North Midland Railway just before opening.
Knaresborough (Hay Park Lane)
Crimple Junction [Station]
| Knaresborough Viaduct|
Knaresborough Goods Junction
Belmont Junction [Harrogate]
Starbeck North Junction
Crimple Valley Viaduct
Wetherby West Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|21/07/1845||Leeds and Thirsk Railway|
Company incorporated, line receives act; Leeds to Thirsk with two branches to the Leeds and Bradford Railway one at Bramley and one at Holbeck, one curve to the Great North of England Railway at Thirsk, and two short branches to Harrogate and Knaresborough.
Iron Roads North of Leeds: A Guide to the Scenic Railways in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria