The Lochgorm Works was established by the Inverness and Nairn Railway. The works are to the north of Inverness station and south of the branch to Inverness Harbour (later the station avoiding line) and Needlefield Carriage Sidings.
The works expanded as the number of lines radiating out from Inverness increased. It initially contained the locomotive shed until Inverness Shed was built in 1863 (for the opening of the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway).
The southern portion of the works was for carriage assembly and repairs and the northern, with a higher roof, for locomotives. Production of locomotives ceased in 1906. 42 locomotives were built over the years.
The works closed in 1959 and from 1960 became a diesel depot. After closure of Inverness Shed, which was south of the station, the site became the main shed which it remains today.
A small amount of clearance around 1984 at the west end of the site provided space for the Inverness Signalling Centre.
Castle Stuart Platform
| Inverness Signalling Centre|
Needlefield Carriage Sidings
Rose Street Junction
Welsh's Bridge Platform
Inverness Ammunition Depot
Welsh's Bridge Junction
Inverness Bus Station
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|