Glengarnock Signal Box

Location type

Junction


Names and dates

Glengarnock Coal Siding (1840-1882)
Kilbirnie Signal Box (1882-1905)
Glengarnock No 2 Signal Box (1905-1937)
Glengarnock Signal Box (1937-1985)

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.


Description

This junction provided the final connection for Glengarnock Steel Works before closure. It also provided access to the second goods yard built for Glengarnock station.

The junction originally opened as the coal siding for Glengarnock Iron Works. A signal box was opened (date assumed 1882) to control the junction and the goods yard was relocated from south of the station to north of the station. The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was built over the line, just to the north of the box, crossing on a long single track girder.

With the opening of the line via Kilbarchan the station was renamed from Kilbirnie [1st] to Glengarnock. The box was renamed Glengarnock No 2 - Glengarnock No 1 Signal Box being just to the north, controlling access to the northern approach to the blast furnaces.

The box closed with the Ayrshire re-signalling scheme.

04/10/2017

Tags

Junction