Dennystown Forge (1854-1979)
Served by the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway.
This forge was located north of Dalreoch station and east of the Balloch branch. Opened 1855.
The forge was for the shipbuilding industry making engine parts, propellers etc. A number of shipyards being in nearby Dumbarton, such as the Leven Shipyard. The founders of the Dennystown Forge Company were James Denny, Alexander Tolmie and Andrew McGaan. Peter Denny and Walter Brock later.
The site had the forge to the north east of the site and the Levenbank Foundry to the south east. The building later became conjoined by extension.
The site was railway served with sidings accessing the site from the west. Initially access was via a turnplate, but later sidings were laid from a reversing loop laid north of the station. There was a quayside on the west bank of the River Leven, north of the Leven Viaduct [Dumbarton] unfortunately, which restricted the size of what was manufactured.
Nearby on the east bank was the Denny's Leven Engine Works, its site split to both north and south of the railway.
The Dennystown Forge closed in 1979, wound up in 1980 and the site was cleared not long afterwards. The site is now used as a scrapyard and a travellers' community.
Upper Port Glasgow
Other railway and industry locations
Leven Viaduct [Dumbarton]
Leven Engine Works
Dumbarton Glass Works
Dalreoch North Signal Box
Albert Ship Building Yard
Dumbarton Old Bridge
St Mary^s Collegiate Church
Glencairn Greit Tenement
Dumbarton Municipal Buildings
Castle Hill [Brucehill]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|