Dawsholm Signal Box (1886-1904)
Dawsholm Signal Box (1904-1929)
Opened on the Stobcross Railway.
This signal box was east of Dalsholm Road, an overline bridge which crosses the Stobcross Railway. The box controlled access to Dawsholm Gas Works, which was on the south side of the line and approached from the west.
The gas works predated the 1886 signal box, being built in 1871 when the Stobcross Railway was under construction (fully opened 1874).
There were a considerable number of lines in the area. The siding leaving at this junction served the works from the west, via two reversals. Reversing sidings were directly south of the Stobcross line, accessed from the west. Reversing from these a second larger group of single ended exchange sidings which passed under Dalsholm Road were reached. The connection into the works was from this second set. These are now the site of the platform at Kelvindale station.
A gasworks line ran round the entire site - forming a teardrop shape accessed from the west. Within this circuit was the works and various works sidings approached from the west.
The siding on the south side of the exchange group continued as a Glasgow Corporation owned line through a single track tunnel under the Forth and Clyde Canal to reach the east end of Temple Gas Works.
In winter the suggestion of the turnout to the Dawsholm Gas Works can still be seen.
To the north of the Stobcross Railway, and south of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway, were the Dawsholm Sidings which were probably associated with the considerable gas works coal traffic as the siding space at the works and exchange yard was limited.
Going west from Dawsholm Signal Box the Stobcross line occupied the former route of the Forth and Clyde Canal which was deviated to the south for around a third of a mile (30 chains). To the west of Kelvindale station the line passes under the diverted canal through double tunnels.
Hyndland Power Box
Other railway and industry locations
Dawsholm Signal Box
Gasworks Engine Shed
Dawsholm Gas Works
Dawsholm Castle Chemical Works
Govan Cottage Coal Pit
Glasgow Portland Cement Works
Maryhill Park Junction
Garscube Chemical Works
Maryhill West Signal Box
Maryhill Viaduct [SR]
Maryhill Viaduct [GDH]
Kelvinside Brick Works
Garscube Colliery [Dawsholm]
Maryhill Park Junction [1st]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways