This large country house is now Coul House Hotel . The house was built in 1821 for Sir George Steuart Mackenzie, 7th Baronet.
When the Dingwall and Skye Railway was promoted in 1864 Sir William Mackenzie, 9th Baronet, then the owner of Coul House, was initially supportive. He withdrew his support of the route which would pass through four miles of his land and within a quarter mile of Coul House. This route would have taken the the line through Strathpeffer and Contin.
The line was obliged to take the more operationally difficult route via Raven Rock Summit and miss passing close to Strathpeffer. A second Act of 29 May 1868 confirmed the new route. Mackenzie died aged 62 on 21 December 1868, before the line opened on 19 August 1870.
The route of the line passes around 2.5 miles north of the house.
Muir of Ord
| Raven Rock Summit|
Fodderty Junction Yard
Conon Bridge Viaduct
Dingwall Scottish Oil Siding
Highland Hotel [Strathpeffer]
Glen Ord Distillery
Dingwall No 2 LC
Sir Hector MacDonald Monument
Dingwall Middle LC
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|