Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Station code: BMP National Rail ScotRail
This is a two platform station. Facilities are minimal, platform shelters and a fine footbridge. The station is around a mile and three quarters from Brampton itself, to the north west.
Lord Carlisle's Railways, also known as the Brampton and Hartleyburn Railway, was built in 1836 to replace a large porton of the older Lord Carlisle's Waggonway and passed through Milton. This allowed connection to the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway which opened from Carlisle to Blenkinsopp Colliery (near Haltwhistle) in the same year. and completely in 1938. The two lines crossed on the level and were connected.
Lord Carlisle's line used the now disused northern platform at the station, the north face of the eastbound platform which was formerly an island. The portion of line north west to Brampton Town opened to steam hauled passenger trains in 1913, having formerly been horse drawn, and closed in 1923. Lord Carlisle's minerals line eastwards closed in 1953.
The line between here and Gilsland was originally single, doubled in 1844.
The station building was on the south side, at the east end of the westbound platform.
There was a goods yard, to the north of the station and approached from the line to Newcastle Central.
A derelict signal box still stands, this stood in the 'V' of the junction between the lines to the east.
| Brampton Staith|
Denton Fell Quarry
Milton Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1
A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps