Haltwhistle

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Haltwhistle (1838-)

Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.

Opened on the Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway).


Description

This is a two platform station in West End, to the west of the village of Haltwhistle's centre. The station is in excellent condition. There is a stone built building on the eastbound platform, timber on the westbound, elevated and disused signal box is at the east end of the westbound platform alongside the footbridge. A very large water tank survives in the former goods yard to the north west of the station. The yard itself is still in railway use as a permanent way depot.

The station opened in 1838 with the central portion which completed the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway. From 1851 it became a junction for the line to Alston, to the south. This branch closed in 1976 and its platform made the existing westbound platform into an island, the branch using its south face.

The island platform's south face could be accessed from the main line at either end and the branch started from the east end of its loop. Access to the main line from the branch was from its west end. The main line is double track, the branch was a single line. The branch followed the east bank of the River South Tyne southwards after crossing the river close to the east end of the station.

The goods yard at Haltwhistle was at the west end of the station, north side, approached from the west. In addition there were sidings served from the branch platform's loop at the west end of the loop, and a turntable.

To the east of the station and branch junctionwas a short mineral branch running north from the main line.


Tags

Station junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map