This was the terminus of the Alston Branch of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
The terminus had a single platform with a loop covered by a timber trainshed which was braced between a wall to the west and the station building. The station building still stands.
There was a goods yard to the north and east of the site.
Some years after closure the station re-opened as the terminus of the narrow gauge South Tynedale Railway. This is a 2 ft line extending progressively north from the station along the former Alston Branch trackbed towards Haltwhistle.
The former goods yard is now the Hub Museum. In 2017 a new glazed roof and second platform were provided at the station.
Bishopside Halt Milk Platform
Lazonby and Kirkoswald
| Killhope Lead Mine|
Allen Smelting Mill
Eden Lacy Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|26/08/1846||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Branch to Alston authorised.
|17/11/1852||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Alston branch opened.
|/ /1965||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Freight is withdrawn and Beeching Report recommends closure of the line. The line is reprieved as there is no all weather road to Alston.
|/ /1967||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Alston station's overall roof is removed.
|03/05/1976||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Alston branch closed.
|/ /1980||Alston Branch (Newcastle and Carlisle Railway)|
Decision taken to open a narrow-gauge line northwards from Alston.