Opened on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.
This was a two platform station. From Gildland the line west to Carlisle follows the south bank of the River Irthing. To the east towards Newcastle it turns away from the Irthing, first east and then south to cross high ground to reach the west bank of the Tipalt Burn before it joins the River South Tyne. This station is closed, but the line remains open.
The line between here and Milton (now Brampton (Cumbria)) was originally single track and was doubled in 1844.
The main station building was on the eastbound platform, with a goods loop serving a loading bank for the south of the westbound platform.
The station closed in 1967. The find two storey station building remains standing.
There is a campaign to re-open the station.
Campaign to Open Gilsland Station
The station hotel remains open, to the south of the railway.
Just west of the station is the Poltross Burn Viaduct where the line crosses the burn on a high bridge.
To the north is Rosehill.
Just to the west of the station the line crossed Hadrian's Wall and the Military Way.
Other railway and industry locations
Poltross Burn Viaduct
Upper Denton Siding
Denton Fell Quarry
Birdoswald Roman Fort
Upper Denton Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: A Mature Art v. 2
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture: Pioneers v. 1
A History of the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, 1824 - 1870: The First Line Across Britain
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Newcastle (Rail Centres)
North Eastern Railway: Historical Maps