Bilston Glen Colliery (1963-1989)
Served by the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway.
This colliery was developed by the National Coal Board, with the sinking commencing in 1952. It replaced Burghlee Colliery, just to the east.
The mine opened around the same time as Millerhill Marshalling Yard (British Railways) to the north.
There were two shafts and a washery with a traverser.
The mine dispatched three loaded trains a day to Cockenzie Power Station (opened 1968).
After closure in 1988, the railway remained in place until 1991 to allow coal stock to be removed.
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Rosslynlee Hospital Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Bilston Glen Viaduct
Burghlee Ground Frame
Pentland Oil Works
Straiton Oil Works
Edgefield Weighs Cabin
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1993||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
Stub of Edinburgh Loanhead and Roslin Railway from Millerhill Junction to Bilston Glen Colliery closed.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Glencorse Branch (Locomotion Papers)