This intermediate box broke the section between Dalnaspidal, to the south, and Dalwhinnie, to the north.
It was originally a temporay box involved with the doubling of the Blair Atholl to Dalwhinnie section, opening when the doubling of the line from the south from County March Signal Box [Highland Main Line] reached Balsporan, and closing with its extension north to Dalwhinnie in 1909.
A new box opened in 1908 . It closed after the Great War in 1928.
A further new box opened a little further north in 1942 during the Second World War after which, from 1952, it was only open in the summer. It closed in 1963 and the line was singled again in 1966. This was a plain brick built box with a single sloping roof, dropping at the rear. The rear backed onto an older railway cottage.
The line was redoubled in 1977-1978 and remains open as a double track.
Black Island Platform
| Druimuachdar Summit|
County March Signal Box [Highland Main Line]
Edendon Signal Box
Glas Mheall Mor
Carn na Caim
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2