This engine works was in Greenock north of the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway. It was started by John Caird and became the engine works of Caird & Co. In 1916 the company was bought by Harland & Wolff Ltd and the engine works was sold to John G Kincaid and Co Ltd in 1919. Closure was around, or before, 1988 and the site has been cleared.
It was served by the harbour line from Cartsdyke Junction which swung south of the railway and then north under it along Arthur Street to Victoria Harbour. The works was on the north side of Arthur Street.
In addition to marine engines, between 1840 and 1841 the works built four locomotives for railways companies in Scotland. In 1840 the company built Nos 11 and 12 for the Glasgow, Paisley an Greenock Railway, No 30 Wasp for the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway, and in 1841 Trevithick for the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
After demolition in the 1990s the iron frame of the building was stored at the former Dalmellington Iron Works for re-assembly. This did not take place.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
| Greenock Works and Shed|
Greenock John Street Signal Box
Cartsburn Shipbuilding Yard
Greenock Central Signal Box
Mid Cartsdyke Shipbuilding Yard
Balwhirley Tunnel North
Balwhirley Tunnel South
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|