Ardmore Yard (1941-1950)
Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
This yard was built for the marshalling of trains heading to Faslane Military Port, and other locations, in the Second World War. With the West Highland Railway being single track it made sense to combine trains before taking them on. A second set of sidings were laid out at Craigendoran Junction. The loop at Helensburgh Upper was lengthened.
There were sidings on both sides of the line between Ardmore Level Crossing (to the south) and Moss Road Level Crossing.
The eastern sidings became a scrapyard after the war.
During electrification gantries of sufficient size to allow sidings on both side were used. These still exist, stretching a long way over just two tracks.
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Ardmore West Signal Box
Ardmore East Signal Box
Craigendoran East Yard
Craigendoran West Yard
Moss Road Level Crossing
Ardmore Level Crossing
St Mahew^s Chapel
Craigendoran Old Ferry Pier
Camis Eskan House
Geilston Farm Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)