Judging by the pristine condition of the platforms, locomotive and carriages this image of Knott End station was taken around the time of opening in 1908. It was also taken before the glass conservatory style waiting area was attached to the building See image 60609. The locomotive is 0-6-0T Knott End, built by Manning Wardle for the opening of this extension to the line from Pilling. The open veranda carriages were built at the Lancaster Carriage and Wagon Works and were later used on the Wanlockhead branch in Scotland. Since closure the station has been completely rebuilt but the extension with the circular vent, visible here on the left, is still in use.
Location: Knott End
Company: Knott End Railway
Photographer: Knott End Collection
Make contact: Knott End Collection
Image number: 61713