This was a single track railway opened in 1870 between Garstang and Catterall, on the Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway, and Pilling. It did not reach Knott End itself.
The line was later extended to Knott End by the Knott End Railway in 1908 which also took over the earlier line.
These locations are along the line.
This was an island platform station. It was located in Garstang, unlike the older Garstang and Catterall station which was further east. Access to the island platform was by lattice footbridge.
This two platform station had a loop and was located on the single track Knott End line. To the immediate west was a level crossing, the loop completing on the west side. There was a goods yard at the east end, accessed by a reversing spur from the down loop.