|08/07/1877||Carlisle Realignment (Maryport and Carlisle Railway)|
New deviation of the approach to Carlisle Citadel for the Maryport and Carlisle Railway opened. Railway No 8.
|/ /1895||Glasgow and South Western Railway|
Glasgow and South Western Railway authorised to build Currock Shed (G and SWR) on the Carlisle Realignment (Maryport and Carlisle Railway).
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This alignment opened in 1877 to replace the older (1852) Maryport and Carlisle Railway approach to Carlisle Citadel which had crossed the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway's Carlisle London Road to Carlisle Canal line on the level. A new connection was made into [[Crown Street Goods], also served by the older line. The deviation was due to the opening of the Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee) in 1877, which would have had the Maryport line cross a four track much busier line on the level, thus the alteration. The Glasgow and South Western Railway did not have an independent approach to Carlisle and was to base its locomotives at a shed on this new alignment.
This curve opened in 1877 to give the Maryport and Carlisle Railway access to the Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee) via a south to west curve. A south to east curve already existed, the original approach (dating from 1843), from the Maryport and Carlisle Railway to meet the older Newcastle and Carlisle Railway.