Wellesley Colliery Hugo Pit (1872-1920)
Served by the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway.
This pit opened in 1872 and was connected, after 1875, by an inclined double hutchway through the Hugo Tunnel to reach the shore at West Wemyss where there was the Wellesley Colliery Victoria Pit and West Wemyss Dock.
This pit was at the end of a branch from the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway. This left the line at the Wellesley Colliery Lady Lilian Pit and turned west and south to reach the pit from the north.
The pit was later served by a connection from the Wemyss Private Railway at the Lilian Pit, now the Wellesley Colliery Lochhead Colliery.
After closure the site became the Hugo Depot.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Wellesley Colliery Hugo Pit
Wellesley Colliery Victoria Pit
Wellesley Colliery Lady Pit
Wellesley Colliery Lochhead Colliery
Wellesley Colliery Lady Lilian Pit
Wellesley Colliery Duncan Pit
Michael Colliery Pits Nos 1,2
Scott^s Road Depot
Wemyss Castle [Castle]
West Wemyss Dock
East Wemyss Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
East of Thornton Junction: The Story of the Fife Coast Line
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
Railways Of Scotland 1: The Kingdom of Fife DVD - Cinerail
Scottish Branch Line Steam
Scottish Branch Lines, 1955-65
The Railways of Fife