Trinity Tunnel

Location type


Name and dates

Trinity Tunnel (1842-1986)

Opened on the Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway.


This is a disused double track 390 ft long tunnel, also known as East Trinity Road Tunnel under which it passes in addition to several houses and their gardens. It is just north of Trinity Junction and south of the site of Trinity [2nd].

Like the Rodney Street Tunnel further south, this tunnel has an elliptical, or horseshoe, shape.

The line closed in 1986. The trackbed is now a footpath.

The engineers were Thomas Grainger and John Miller.


Tunnel footpath


Listing: C