Thornton Junction [W&BR] (1881-1959)
Opened on the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This island platform station was located directly east of the main Thornton Junction station and was directly connected to it by footbridge. It was an island platform with the line becoming single track as it curved off to the south east to Buckhaven. The east face of the platform was used for passenger trains.
Just to the north, the branch met the main line at Thornton North Junction.
Nothing remains of the station today, the site is part of the Thornton Golf Club. The main line station is also gone, but the line remains open.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Thornton North Junction
Thornton East Junction
Thornton Shed [1st]
Thornton West Junction [1st]
Thornton South Junction
Thornton Wagon Works
Earlseat Loading Pad
Thornton West Junction
Fife Railway Wagon Works
Thornton Shed [2nd]
Wellesley Colliery Duncan Pit
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
East of Thornton Junction: The Story of the Fife Coast Line
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
Railways Of Scotland 1: The Kingdom of Fife DVD - Cinerail
Scottish Branch Line Steam
Scottish Branch Lines, 1955-65
The Railways of Fife