Strathord

Location type

Station

Names and dates

Dunkeld Road (1849-1857)
Strathord (1857-1931)

Opened on the Scottish Midland Junction Railway.
Opened on the Bankfoot Light Railway.

Description

This was a two platform station originally. The main station building was on the northbound platform.

There was a goods yard to the north and siding to the south of the station, both on the west side of the line and approached from the north.

There was a signal box on the northbound platform.

With the opening of the Bankfoot Light Railway in 1906 an additional platform was added at the north end of the station on the west side. It was not possible to directly access the branch, but by reversing from the northbound main line the branch could be reached and then with reversal a train could run to Bankfoot.

The branch closed to passengers in 1931 and the station closed.

The signal box closed in 1961, replaced by the new box at Stanley Junction. The branch completely in 1964 but the main line remains open here and a few portions of platform and one timber building remain.

Tags

Station junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
11/08/2019



Dates

13/04/1931Bankfoot Light Railway
Bankfoot to Strathord closed to passengers.
07/09/1964Bankfoot Light Railway
Bankfoot to Strathord (excluded) closed to freight.

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways

Tayside's Last Days of Steam
The Railways of Strathmore (Perth, Forfar and Brechin)