St Margarets Shed

Location type

Loco shed

Name and dates

St Margarets Shed


This shed was located east of Edinburgh Waverley just west of Piershill Junction. It was on both side of the East Coast Main Line. There was a roundhouse and single ended shed to the north and another single ended shed to the south. Approach was from the west, with reversal to the roundhouse. There was a signal box, 'St Margarets', at the west end of the site. It opened in 1868.

British Railways assigned the code 64A and sub sheds Dunbar Shed, Galashiels Shed, Hardengreen Shed, Leith Central Shed, Longniddry Shed, North Berwick Shed, Peebles Shed, Penicuik Shed, Polton Shed, Seafield Shed [CR] and South Leith Shed.

The shed closed in 1967 and the 64A code applied to Millerhill MPD. The box closed in 1970.

The sites have been cleared becoming Meadowbank House, and other units, to the south and part of the Meadowbank Stadium to the north.