St Boswells Shed [2nd]

Location type

Loco shed

Name and dates

St Boswells Shed [2nd] (1863-1959)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


A small single line shed existed to the north of St Boswells station, this was replaced, probably in anticipation of the opening of the Berwickshire Railway, with a larger two road shed at the south end in 1863. This shed lasted until 1959.

The shed was approached from the south and was alongside the bay platform on the east side of the south end of St Boswells station. A shed was required here due to the branches to Duns (to the north) and Kelso to the south as wells as a large goods yard associated with the market at the north end of the station.

The shed was stone built with a large water tank on the east side. Access was from the south. The shed closed in 1960, some years before closure of the main line and the branches.

The shed still stands, with the entry arches blocked, in other uses.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67