South Leith Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

South Leith Junction

Opened on the North British Railway.

Opened on the Lothian Lines (North British Railway).


Description

In 1858 a curve was opened from the 1846 North British Railway to the South Leith branch of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.

Around 1890 Portobello [2nd] closed to allow Portobello Yard to be built on either side of the original railway. The west end of this yard occupied the site of the former station. The passenger lines were re-aligned to the south edge of the yard and a new Portobello [3rd] station opened. (Portobello West Junction, directly at the west end of the new station, is where the deviation began).

The signal box controlling access to the South Leith line was renamed from 'Portobello' to 'South Leith Junction ' around 1900.

The box was replaced with the main line was quadrupled with an addition two lines (for goods) being laid to the north of the existing railway between Piershill Junction and Portobello in 1909.

In 1912 the South Leith branch was doubled and in 1915 the Lothian Lines (North British Railway) opened. A part of this network opened from South Leith Junction to run round the north side of Portobello Yard, cross over the main line at Portobello East Junction and Waverley Route at Joppa [1st] to reach Brunstane Park Junction.

With a decline in traffic the Brunstane Park Junction line was closed in 1967 and South Leith Junction box closed.

Much of Portobello Yard was closed in 1962 and 1963 with the opening of Millerhill Marshalling Yard (British Railway) and today the location has a much simpler layout. The junction for South Leith is now at Portobello Junction (formerly Portobello East Junction.


Tags

Junction



Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways

Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)

Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)

Edinburgh (Rail Centres)

Edinburgh (Rail Centres)

Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967

Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland

Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)

Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons
North British Railway in Northumberland, The

North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)

North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)

Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes

South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)

The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway

The North British Railway a History
The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)

Vanished Railways of West Lothian

Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route