Location type


Name and dates

Seton (1846-1850)

Opened on the North British Railway.


This was a short lived station. It was located to the south of Seton House and Seton Chapel.

Tramways ran south from Seton. One, to the west, to Seton Engine Pit, Ascension Colliery and Garnet Pit and the other to Seton Colliery, Union Colliery and a colliery at Brierbush Cottage, just west of Macmerry.

There was a level crossing here. The location was upgraded to become a signal box in 1924. It was reduced to a gate box again in 1958, when St Germains Level Crossing's, to the east, was upgraded to be a signal box.

The level crossing was stopped up in 1978.


Station short lived

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)

Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967

Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland

Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons
North British Railway in Northumberland, The

North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)

North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)

Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes

South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)

The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway

The North British Railway a History
The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)

Vanished Railways of West Lothian