Peter's Crook Siding

Location type


Name and dates

Peter^s Crook Siding (1862-1880)

Served by the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).


The dates are assumed. The Railway Clearing House name is Peter's Crook, the name of a farm just to the south west. This quarry, which might be described as Watleyhirst Quarry, was served by a looped siding off the Waverley Route. The loop was on the west side of the line. To the north it connected to the northbound line and to the south to the southbound line. There was a tramway to the quarry, by the Liddel Water, and a coal depot for the works, served by a siding on the west side of the loop.

The quarry was north of Penton station. It was part of the Kingsfield House estate (the house is about a mile to the east).


Quarry siding loop tramway

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

Border Country Branch Line Album

Border Railway Portfolio

Borders Railway Rambles

Carlisle to Hawick: The Waverley Route (Scml)

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)

Last Years of the Waverley Route

North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)

North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)

Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail

The North British Railway a History

The Waverley Route Through Time

The Waverley Route: The District Controller's View 'Edinburgh (Waverley) - Carlisle Via Hawick'

Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway

Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway

Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route