Newbiggin Signal Box [2nd] (1915-1979)
Opened on the Aberdour Line (North British Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This signal box was on the north side of the railway. It opened in advance of the opening of the Burntisland Aluminium Works whose sidings were to the east. Approach to the sidings was from the east and there was a crossover, allowing trains to approach from Burntisland Harbour.
It replaced the signal box at Newbigging Siding to the west.
To the west was Colinswell Siding from which a line ran north to Grange Quarry.
The box closed in 1979, replaced by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.
Possibly the spelling is incorrect and should be 'Newbigging'.
Granton Gasworks [Station]
Other railway and industry locations
Newbiggin Signal Box [2nd]
Burntisland Aluminium Works
Newbigging Limestone Mine
Burntisland Locomotive Workshops
Burntisland East Junction
Orrock Hill Quarry
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|